Southern Grape Jelly Meatballs
“In the 1960s, recipes for “cocktail meatballs” appeared in myriad texts, some of which were for a cream-based sauce (similar to Swedish meatballs), others made with ketchup and brown sugar. Many were for grape jelly-based sauce.” (The Spruce)
Yield: 12 Servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours 20 minutes
Author: The Southern Spice Rack
· 1 pound ground beef 80/20
· 1 egg
· 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
· 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
· 2 teaspoons salt
· 1 teaspoon black pepper
· 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
· 1 cup grape jelly
· 1 ¼ cup sweet chili sauce
1. Preheat your oven to 400℉
2. In a large bowl mix the ground beef, egg, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire, salt, and pepper.
3. Form meatballs the size of a heaping tablespoon and place on a aluminum lined and buttered baking sheet
4. Bake the meat balls for about 15 minutes.
5. While the meatballs are cooking combine the grape jelly, Dijon mustard, and the sweet chili sauce in a slow cooker and mix well. Place the cooker on high and cover, let heat till the meatballs are cooked.
6. Once the meat balls are browned and cooked remove from oven and place into the slow cooker. Toss the meatballs to ensure they are all covered in sauce.
7. Place the slow cooker on low and cover with lid. Cook on low for three hours stirring occasionally.
8. Serve and enjoy!