Updated: Feb 12, 2021
Yield: 8 Servings
Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Total Time: minutes
Author: The Southern Spice Rack
· 2 cups Jasmine Rice
· 2 pounds Shrimp, peeled and deveined, reserve the heads and shells.
· 4 tablespoons Tony’s seasoning
· 1 pound sliced on a bias andouille smoked sausage
· 4 tablespoons Butter
· 1 pound chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
· 5 tablespoons salt
· 4 tablespoons pepper
· 1 14oz. can diced tomatoes
· 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
· 1 diced yellow onion
· 1 diced green bell pepper
· 3 diced ribs celery
· 4 minded cloves garlic
· 2 tablespoons thyme
· 3 bay leaves
· 3 tablespoons paprika
· 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
1. To make the shrimp stock: place two quarts of water into a medium sized pot and place on medium-high heat. Place shrimp heads and shells into water. Add 2 tablespoons of Tony’s seasoning and let simmer for one hour.
2. Strain the heads and shells from the stock and discard. The stock be held in refrigerator for up to five days.
3. To make the jambalaya: in a large sauce pan over medium heat melt the butter. Add in the onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic. Sautee until soft, about 8 minutes.
4. Add in the chicken and Sautee until brown, it does not need to be cooked completely though.
5. Add in the tomato sauce, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons Tony’s seasoning, salt, pepper, thyme, cayenne pepper, bay leaf, and paprika. Stir all ingredient and cook until very fragrant, about three minutes.
6. Add in the sliced sausage, rice, and 3 ½ cups shrimp stock.
7. Turn heat to low and let simmer about 20 minutes, until rice is cooked. Add in the shrimp, remove the bay leaves and stir. Adjust seasonings as needed.
8. Serve and enjoy!